Saturday 16 October 2010

Sloe Gin All Done



Just before I went away for a short break in North Yorkshire I managed to bottle up the sloe berries that were in my freezer. Just half fill a litre Kilner jar with the sloes, quarter fill with sugar, then fill to the top with gin. If you don't get enough sloes just use a smaller jar using the same method. You can use brandy or vodka too, Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall prefers using vodka to gin because he says its the best way to enjoy the pure flavour of the sloe berries. Gin of course will mask the flavour to some extent because of the juniper content. Don't forget to prick the sloes with a pin to make sure you get as much of the juice and colour into the gin. Store in a dark place for a minimum of 2 or 3 months. Its probably a good idea to strain the juice through a muslin cloth to get rid of any bits of berry flesh that are floating in the gin.

6 comments:

  1. I'll be round in the new year then lol

    Looks very tasty Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Keith great to see you up and running so soon mate. Saw a programme last night and thought of you, this guy was having stents to widen the valve thingy ma bobs and to get rid of the clots... Ouch! through the groin like you had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea, I can vouch for the pain lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a delectable colour! I've never known where to look for sloes..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just adore the colour.

    I go to the cupboard, shake the Kilner jar like a loony and then caress it gently. I Can't wait to decant and taste. Hopefully, I put in enough sloeberries for flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How did I miss this post??? That looks just delicious! I wonder where I could get some sloe berries...would love to try this with brandy.

    ReplyDelete