Saturday 3 July 2010

Elderflower Champagne









I was determined not to let this year pass without making use of the Elder Flower, last year the Elderberry wine went down a treat, so much so that only one bottle remains. Albeit 3/4's. The word is that the elderberry wine tastes so much better if you allow it to mature;-) Fat chance.....

Well I did have a go at Elderflower champagne and the process was... as the Meercat says 'simples'.

  • 16 flower heads
  • 4 lemons, rind and juice
  • 700g sugar
  • 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
  • 4 litres hot water
  • 2 litres cold water
  • 1 sachet of champagne yeast (not in Hugh's recipe), this is an optional extra as the flowers have natural yeast.
Recipe by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall.
Warning: Be carefull after the bottling up process as the brew can explode with the build up of gas.-

3 comments:

  1. That sounds, mmmmmmm.
    I doubt I could let it mature either lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the second blog I have read that this is simple and easy oh and delicious, so I am going to try to make some this coming week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have sampled it - pretty good.
    Good job she uncorked it outside though. Looked like she'd finished first at Silverstone for a bit there. :)

    ReplyDelete